Alu (potato) mutter (green peas) sandwich made with boiled peas and potato, mint chutney/paste,chilli garlic chutney /paste, and crunchy sev (small, thin,salted gram flour fries) is a very common evening snack in Ahmedabad,Gujarat Sandwichwala corners/shops.
a) For Stuffing –
- Boiled potatoes – 2 medium size
- Boiled peas – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Jeera/cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Amchur/Raw mango powder – 1/4tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1/4 tsp
b) For green chutney/paste
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves,chopped – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 2 nos.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Fried gram/chana dal – 1 tbsp
c) For Garlic chutney/paste
- Garlic cloves – 12
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp (alternatively Whole red chillies – 5 to 6 depending on spice preference)
- Tamarind pulp – 1 tbsp
- salt – 1 tsp
d) For Sandwich –
- Sandwich bread
- Sev/Seva for sprinkling on the stuffing
1. Grind the ingredients for both chutneys (b and c above) separately and keep aside.
2. In a bowl, mash the boiled potatoes well, boiled peas, and add all the masalas to fold into a soft dough.
3. Take 2 Sandwich bread slices and butter them on both sides.
4. Apply the green chutney on one slice and Garlic chutney on second slice
5. Layer the stuffing on the slice with green chutney, sprinkle the crunchy seva on stuffing and cover with the garlic chutney slice.
6. Heat a flat pan or tawa and toast till light golden brown. With a flat ladel gently press and flip to repeat the other side to golden brown.
7. Serve hot with masala tea or coffee.
Tip : Prepare and keep the two chutneys in fridge to be used for a week in other evening snacks too like Bhel, simple sandwich, Vada pav, Dabeli etc. The garlic chutney will last longer, about 2 to 3 weeks if refrigerated.
Bon Appetit! or as they say in Gujarati – Majaa avi jashe!!